Monday, September 24, 2012

Fabric Flowers


I was looking for a valance or some kind of decoration for my daughter's nursery window. I already had the blinds, so I wanted something to dress it up! Fabric flowers turned out to be just what I was looking for!

I took several coordinating (but not too matchy-matchy) fabrics-- I used thin, value fabric from Joann's-- at $2-$4 per yard, you can't go wrong! Start with about a yard of each. Then, I used iron-on interfacing (also purchased at Joann Fabrics) to stiffen the fabric. I ironed it on to the backs of the square fabric pieces. I cut 5 petals of each pattern out of the now stiffened fabric. For the smaller layered flowers I didn't cut individual petals, just a wavy flower shape.

After I had all my flowers/petals cut out, I grouped the 5 petals of the same pattern and made a small fold in the center of the flat end of the petal. I hot glued the tucks so that they would stay, and I didn't have to wait for the glue to dry. This added a nice dimension to my final flower! After my petals were tucked and glued, I simply layered the smaller flower shapes on top of the larger petals and fabric glued the different layers on top of one another.

For a center decoration, I glued on loose beads, or I used buttons with raffia woven through them for a textured and 3-D look. That's it! I used plain tape (pretty primitive) to put them up around my daughter's window frame, and I had enough extra to decorate the outside of her door, plus a few over the changing table! You could use wall adhesive, or a 3M Command removable tack up strip as well. I have cut the "removable sticky poster tabs" into smaller pieces before, and it has held beautifully. 

They really give her room a sweetness, and since they are so light, if one fell, it wouldn't hurt anyone :) I love how customizable they are-- they would make a great baby gift! Or, use the idea to do butterflies, letters, etc for an older girl's room!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emma you are so talented! I love your masterpiece soooooo much!

    ReplyDelete